Prince Michael entered the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst in January 1961 and was commissioned into the 11th Hussars (Prince Albert’s Own) in 1963. He saw service in Germany, Hong Kong and Cyprus where his squadron formed part of the UN peacekeeping force in 1971. Subsequent tours of duty, during a military career that spanned twenty years, included a number of appointments on the Defence Intelligence Staff.
- In 1994, Prince Michael was made Honorary Commodore of the re- structured Royal Naval Reserve. In June 2004, he moved up to Honorary Rear Admiral and in 2006 was made Commodore-in-Chief of the combined Maritime Reserves, and promoted to Honorary Vice Admiral of the Royal Naval Reserve.
- In 2002 he was made Honorary Air Commodore of Royal Air Force Benson and in 2012 was promoted to Honorary Air Marshal of the Royal Air Force.
- In 2009, Prince Michael was made Regimental Colonel of the Honourable Artillery Company and their Royal Honorary Colonel in 2012.
- His Royal Highness is Senior Colonel of the King’s Royal Hussars. Prince Michael was also appointed Honorary Colonel in the Army with effect from 10th November 2010.
- Prince Michael is Colonel-in-Chief of the Essex and Kent Scottish, Ontario, Canada.